Friday, September 07, 2007

MOCRAP


I've been voicing my opinions about mocap [motion capture] in a couple of places. I wont go into too much detail of my opinion of mocap and rotoscoping. To summarise;

1) In both cases the results are usually poorer than good animation.
2) Motion capture and rotoscoping are not animation and shouldn't be referred to as.
3) They have their places, but shouldn't be used as a replacement for animation [you reading this Spielberg?]

So yeah, I'm not going to burn down motion capture studios or anything like that. I might elaborate more on why I see mocap and rotoscope as inferior in quality, and what uses they do have, in a later post. But not this one. Less typing today.

And you're right - those glasses are pretty crappy. I had to give her big specs. It's the law. Female scientist are usually depicted with big glasses. One reason could be to show first and foremost that they are nerds, despite what they may look like behind the frames. Secondly they have to be big and ungainly to depict the scientist lack of interest in anything beyond science, including fashion. And finally, big spectacles come in handy as makeshift goggles for those less dangerous [i.e. explosive] experiments. These are all my hypotheticals.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

shittiest blog post ever

9/12/2007 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan Khatam said...

i really like this drawing. i like how you drew her lips & her big round glasses.

9/15/2007 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger crsP said...

Hey anonymous, I guess you got peeved at my suggestion for you to wash your balls, over on Eddie Fitzgerald's site. Trust me, it's good to have those nuts clean, even in your case where you're unlikely to use them. What makes this post the 'shittiest'? I could argue that it is equally as shit. Be sure to elaborate on your thoughts. You type with an eloquence not witnessed since the fifteenth century.

Thanks for the compliment on this drawing Ryan - you picked out the highlights of the piece, i.e. the glasses and the lips. The inking went a bit haywire, as I can't seem to get the right control using my A6 wacom and the art program's paint tool. hmpf

9/16/2007 07:08:00 AM  
Blogger Andy Latham said...

I'd like to compliment you not on your post, but on your response to the anonymous comment above!

I also agree whole heartedly on your opinion of mocap. I think I can deal with it's use in live action movies like King Kong, but within an entirely 'animated' movie, it's inexcusable. It's simply a time saving device in that context and adds nothing to the final result.

Nice scientist too - I used to be one of them! (well a male version)
-----------------------------
Visit Andy's Animation!

9/17/2007 04:46:00 AM  
Blogger crsP said...

Solid

9/26/2007 01:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home